Women's Engagement Board
Women’s Engagement Board
The Women’s Engagement Board, comprised of students, post-docs and staff, endeavors to build women’s leadership across Caltech’s campus. Through a quarterly board meeting this group works towards the common goal of influencing cultural change and improving the campus climate at Caltech.
Thank you for considering joining the Caltech Women’s Engagement Board. I hope that, if selected, you will find the experience to be professionally and personally enriching. Please respond to the following questions to help me understand your potential contribution and to help us maintain diversity among our members. Please use extra space, as needed, and include a resume or CV. Questions? Contact Erin-Kate Escobar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application questions include the following:
- Why would you like to become a member the Women’s Engagement Board?
- What are a few of your personal goals for the next academic year?
- What relevant experiences do you bring to working on this board?
- Please discuss the communities and networks to which you work with(in) on campus (what labs, groups, clubs, orgs you belong to or are looking to influence).
- Through your commitment to this board you will commit to at least one project on campus what are some of your ideas for projects, issues, topics you would like to see here at Caltech that align with the goals of this board:
Are you able to fulfill the following commitments?
- Attendance: Members must attend Monthly meetings and at least one additional activity annually
- Retreat: Every new member must attend an orientation retreat meeting
- Participation: Members should actively participate at WEB meetings. Members are expected to utilize their expertise, initiative, and community networks to further the WEB.
- Preparation: Members are expected to read all relevant materials prior to the meetings.
Upon receipt, applications are discussed within the context of Women’s Engagement Board needs, and the current WEB will help make the determination to select new members. Applicants are then notified and, if selected, scheduled for an orientation. Your new position will begin September 2017 and end in June 2018.
2016-2017 Innuagural Women's Engagement Board
This was the inaugural year of The Women’s* Engagement Board (WEB). It was comprised of 15 women (1 postdoc, 6 grads, 2 undergrads, and 4 staff) This group is a collaboration to build a more inclusive environment for women at Caltech. Through identifying blind spots, offering support, and building life skills, we provide creative solutions for advocacy and programming so each person can succeed at Caltech and beyond.
the WEB was given professional development and produced events centered on teamwork, leadership, event planning, communication, goal setting and achievement, influencing the climate/culture of an organization, creative problem-solving, and results-driven investment in environments that foster diversity.
*We use an inclusive definition of "woman" and we welcome trans women, genderqueer women and non-binary people.
Professional development included:
Combatting Sexism in the work place and beyond
Building a Brand – Your own brand
Professionalism in Writing: The art of writing an Email
Reflections on your contributions to WEB and Campus
1/30 Valentine making for local assisted care living facility
3/2Pursuing Graduate school and grad/ug dinner
3/15 Ignite Women in Academia
3/24 The Role of Leadership in the Journey to Gender Equality" Panel at JPL
5/19 Alumni Weekend Women’s Lunch
6/2 Breaking Stereotypes: Mae Jemison teach in & Sci fi game night
6/13 Leading by Example: Creating Inclusive Classrooms
Thank you to the first board members: Abigail Crites, Alysha de Souza, Anvita Mishra, Catriona Blunt, Emily Wyatt, Erica Figueroa, Giuliana Viglione, Hye Joon Lee, Ivanna Escala, Jackie Gish, Jenn Weaver, Karla Hernandez, Linda Krippner, Nikita Sirohi, Priscilla Gubatan